The Northern Neck Industrial Academy, the first African American High School in Richmond County, opened on October 1, 1901. On behalf of the academy, C. H. Carter, teacher and inventor, wrote a letter to the editor ofthe Northern Neck News which in part reads:
“[it] is half a mile from Ivondale, [in] this county, is bounded on in part by Farnham Creek and contains one hundred acres, which with the completed buildings, is all paid for. It was founded in 1900 and the next year opened to the pupils, and through the efforts of Hon. C. C. Baker as patron it was chartered by act of Legislature. In launching out on this enterprise for the good of the community and the Commonwealth we will appreciate and cherish the good will of your many readers…”
The Academy closed in 1938 with the opening of Richmond County High School (former Richmond County Intermediate). The academy and its many buildings no longer stand.
Source: Virginia Chronicle: Northern Neck News, 1879-1966.